Friday 8 March 2013

I Will Return as a Hugh Beautiful Tree!

I'm sorry if you do not like Dane Cook's comedy as this video will be very tedious to watch as he goes on several tangents. However, if you want to watch less I suggest starting at 3:30 minutes or if you want an extremely short version you can watch it form 7:24 minutes and still get the gist. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utf2E-8B3TE

I used to watch a lot of Dane Cook growing up and I'll admit he still makes me laugh (but I enjoy and animated comedian who is over the top and cannot stay on topic to save his life), so sue me. However, I always remember disagreeing with his Atheist skit. I'm not too religious and I do believe in the circle of life more than I do in any form of afterlife. I would always think after watching this skit (though I usually agreed with his jokes and his observation of the human Psyche) that what is so wrong with wanting to be a tree after you die. Trees are beautiful and anyone would be lucky to be buried amongst the roots of a sturdy old tree.

This brings me to Green Burials where nature surrounds the interments of individuals and forms natural living grave markers such as trees and other plant life. This practice of Green Burials is practiced here in Victoria at the Royal Oak Cemetery. This burial ground has many specifications that other cemeteries may not however these rules are in place to protect the ideology upon which Green Burials are founded. These burials are different from other interments as they do not embalm the body, the caskets are completely biodegradable and there is no grave lining. This is a relatively natural and eco-friendly way to dispose of remains. Though this seems to be the most obvious mode of disposal and probably the first method of interment known to mankind it has recently since the 1990's slowly regained popularity.

The burials in this Royal Oak Interment Park are permanent and cannot be dug up; once buried the body and its grave become one with the landscape and the removal of the body would disturb the ecosystems surrounding it. This as well as several other protective rules are established at this Green Cemetery. There would definitely be no chance of a woodsman walking by cutting down the tree your buried under to turn it into a Bible like Dane Cook threatens.

Another rule regarding this burial site is that you may only be allocated a grave site when you are going to be using it and not before then. There is no reservation of plots where entire family lines can be buried. Which I think is a fair, first come first serve, method. There are no family plots in nature and thus that cannot be a necessity for a natural burial either.    

I do not believe in life after death but I do believe that a Green Burial Cemetery, with its abundance of plant and animal life could be a heaven on earth for the living.

This is the link to the Royal Oak (Green Burial Park) Cemetery.
http://www.robp.ca/our-services/natural-green-burial/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment